Pierre van der Eng
Research School of Management, College of Business & Economics
Pierre van der Eng is an economist and historian in the Research School of Management in the ANU College of Business and Economics. During 2016-2019 he was a visitor at Tsinghua University and Peking University in Beijing. In relation to China, he conducts research in international business, economic history and business history. Current research projects are (a) Chinese foreign investment and the strategies of Chinese firms and their subsidiaries in Indonesia, and (b) Chinese entrepreneurship in Indonesia. Some of his recent publications related to China are:
- (2022) Chinese entrepreneurship in Indonesia: A business demography approach, Business History, 64(4) 682-703.
- (2020) The biological standard of living in China during the 20th century, The China Quarterly, 241: 191-213 (with Kitae Sohn).
- (2020) The role of the Engineer-in-Chief in the introduction of foreign hydraulic dredging technology and river conservancy into China, Frontiers of History in China, 15(2) 234-267 (with Yi Wei and Long Denggao).
- (2019) 从长期视角观察印度尼西亚的华商企业规模 [A long-term perspective on the scale of Chinese business in Indonesia] in Wang, Huiyao and Kang, Rongping (eds.) 世界华商发展报告2019 [Overseas Chinese business development report 2019]. (Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press) 100-115 (with Hao Shaoli).
- (2019) Academic interest in Indonesia’s economy accelerates in China, Asian Currents (11 February 2019).